Sunday, January 22, 2006

Musee Maillol

Today I visited the Musee Maillol and ran around the St. Germain/Sorbonne area. I went over the Maillol to see an exhibition called "Le feu sous les sendres" (basically: the fire under the ashes... yeah, I know, "La Melancolie" and now this). The exhibition was subtitled "From Picasso to Basquiat" and included a sizable collection of Basquiat. His pieces were the big draw for me, and it definitely wasn't a letdown. The most moving were a collection by a Croatian artist named Zoran Music (sorry, he's only on French Wikipedia) who had survived Dachau. His paintings were very dark, depicting piles of bodies and ethereal forms. The Picassos were a lot of fun, and while not the most uplifting in the world, they weren't abjectly depressing like some of the others. Despite all of that, it was a very interesting museum. Take note that it's not very well-known by tourists. Yet.

My new resolution is to find uplifting art in Paris. I came close today with a photo exhibition at the Jardin de Luxembourg I checked out, but I'm searching for genuinely happy art now. I'll update people if that actually happens...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home