Sunday, April 30, 2006

Rene Magritte at the Musee Maillol


"This is not a Pipe" or "The Treachery of Images"

The Musee Maillol, right off the Rue de Bac metro stop, is holding a really fun Magritte expo I just saw today. While I know this isn't the most academic way to describe it, I've always liked Magritte because I always get a chuckle out of him. His stuff is silly and absurb, but also spot-on and often pretty funny. For instance, one of the drawings (the expo is called "Tout en Papier" - all on paper, so there are no paintings) shows a man painting a bird onto a canvas, while he looks at an egg on a table - and the title is "Le Clairvoyant." Anyways, without giving away too much more, I'd reccomend checking it out for a little breath of fresh air. Magritte has always been one of the most original artists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home