Sunday, April 23, 2006

Quick vs McDonalds

I just finished up a pasta dinner full of things Jacques brought back from his trip to Italy - Parmesan Reggiano, Italian Sausage, and fresh olive oil. I also had a bit of wine. Actually, quite a bit - enough to have my head light enough to discuss the various merits and downsides of the two competing burger fast food chains in France.

First, I feel a little bit of background is necessary. Paris is an expensive city. It's hard to eat out for under 10 Euros, and you should reasonably expect 15-20 Euros for a decent meal including some sort of drink. Given the awful exchange rate here that has consistently been kicking my bank account's rear end since I got here, we're looking at easily over $20 for a decent meal out. Of course, there are other options. I've mentioned the Student Cafes, which I do go often for lunch during the week. There's also cheap asian places, with prix fixe menus at around 6 Euros for something like an entree, a plate, and some rice. Of course, these places can often be the food poisoning express, as many of my american and french friends have found out. There's also the obvious choice - cook for yourself. Which I do. Every morning I do breakfast at home, and most dinners during the week involve something from Monoprix, ATAC, or Picard.

The problem that often arises is that Paris is such a social city. Dinner parties are a major part of your social life in Paris. With so much amazing food around, it's hard to avoid them. If you spend a day out and about, such as I did today going to various expos, you're going to find yourself undoubtedly in some random corner of Paris with an empty stomach.

This is where fast food rears its affordable head. You can eat for under 6 Euros, no worries about slow waiters, overpriced tourist trap food, and you know what you're getting. Fast food for me is what I eat when I need to refuel on the run.

The two big options, as I've mentioned, are Quick and McDonalds. Quick, or "Quality Burger Restaurant" is as far as I can tell, a French chain. And honestly, it's pretty awful. It's more expensive that McDonalds and not nearly as good. Avoid it at all costs, and don't say I didn't warn you. Their "gourmet" monthly sandwiches and everything might sound inviting, but they're flavorless and overpriced.

McDonalds, on the other hand, is the roi of french fast food. McDonalds in France is surprisingly not bad and has a particular French take that separates it from the American ones. For instance, they have espresso. Yes, you heard me right, you can get (mediocre) espresso at McDo. There's also another option for french fries, which are larger "Grands Patates" or whatever they call them, and are potato wedges with a sour cream dipping sauce. If I were you, I would avoid the Croque McDo, which is McDonald's overpriced and poor take on the croque monsieur. Also, the Royal Bacon is delicious, as are their Strawberry (fraise) Milkshakes.

One of the hard things for me is that their menu is basically English. Chicken McNuggets in France are still Chicken McNuggets, but with a french accent on them. They become "cheekenn Meecnuggehts." Same for words like Milkshake or McFlurry or le Big Mac. I've actually tried just saying them in English, but the cashiers always look at me quizzically.

Also, the French absolutely love McDonalds. Love. There are always lines at the Place de Clichy McDonalds. It was also the case in Barcelona, where lines were out the door at the La Ramblas location. I think a big part of the reason they love it so much is what I mentioned before about food prices. You see a lot of younger people there that really don't have any other options for food. It's not like kids go around eating onion soup and duck breast everyday, as appetizing as that might be.

1 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Petite_Mannequin said...

I was just thinking how good Mcdonald's actually is here. I don't go near it in the states but since everything is so expensive here I tried it out. The Big Mac is really good and it's not all squished like it is in North America. The chicken nuggets are a bit dry, though, I'd stay away from them. The vanilla shake is really good - I would get it over the fountain soda because it's always flat.
I had Quick once before, a few months ago and, you're right- it's pretty flavorless and small and over priced.

Another option is subway- they are great here in paris, too. I like the roasted chicken sub. It's a good alternative to eating sandwiches from bakeries everyday- I find there usually isn't enough meat in them.
The crepe stands on the street are also cheap and really yummy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home