Thursday, May 18, 2006

Flip-flops

So, before I go to bed tonight, I have to tell this little story, just because it's so incredibly French.

Earlier, I stopped out to meet Meredith and we went by Monoprix to pick up some food to cook for dinner. When she called me from outside, I was just wearing a pair of Havaianas flip-flops for lounging around the apartment. Being lazy, and finally sticking my middle finger at European fashion sense, I rolled out of my place still wearing my flip-flops.

All was fine until I was heading back to the apartment with my groceries when I looked onto the street and saw my friend Mario, who lives in the building, coming towards the apartment. He looked at me, and laughed - "coming from the beach?" He laughed a bit, and I introduced him to Meredith, etc. I made a joke about how I always wear them in the States. He couldn't really get over it, "but we're in Paris" he said, clearly not understanding. He laughed a bit more, repeatedly looking down at my meager footwear. We BS'ed a bit as we walked up the stairs, and as he left, he said "make sure to wash your feet off."

Anyways, just one of those little cultural moments. I've honestly avoided wearing flip-flops up until now because I know it's not too French or anything, and I guess first time out, I reap the consequences. Oh, and for those of you wondering about a French guy named Mario, he's actually half Portuguese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home