Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Cold Snap

Over the last few days, Paris has been in the middle of a cold snap, and it's been blamed on the Russians. Despite the unfortunate Russian winter, I made the most out of yesterday and headed down to the Marais to grab lunch at Ma Bourgogne, a restaurant on the Place de Vosges. There, I ate some hearty fare, including beef sausage and potato salad to insulate me from the cold. Then, Tiffany and I rolled around the Marais for a while.

Our first stop was the Musee Carnavalet, which is a museum on the history of Paris, displaying old knick-knacks, signage, furniture, and art. In addition, there's some cool models of Paris showing the old Ile-de-la-Cite with row houses all along the bridges and old narrow and winding streets. Besides its normal exhibition, the museum had two completely random temporary exhibitions, one was a black and white photographic exhibit of classic Parisian circuses, and the other was a collection of gaudy american jewelry (we're talking diamond encrusted turtle shells here).

Besides the Musee Carnavalet, I picked up a pair of shoes at the Camper Store, some chocolate at Jeff de Bruges, and finally saw the inside of a real American Apparel store. Also, I got to satisfy my craving for The a la Menthe, which I've missed ever since this summer.

In the evening, I had dinner at La Mere Catherine, an admittedly touristy, but good, place right on the Place de Tertre in Montmartre. I continued my adventures in foie gras (yes, I will repeat it again, I am a bad person. Sorry Rachel) with Tagliatelle Foie Gras, a pasta with cream sauce and foie gras, basically the richest thing one can eat ( I think it was actually a little much for my stomach). After that, I went through part of the box of Jeff de Bruges and returned home for a much-needed night of sleep.

When I got back, I was informed in traditional Parisian fashion that no french people shop at Jeff de Bruges, and that it's no good by my host family. So, one step towards Parisian, one step back, it always works that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home