Saturday, January 28, 2006

Les Amants Reguliers

Today, I walked around the Latin Quarter/St. Germain area. I made a stop at the Latin American Institute to take a step away from all the Euro-centric art I've been exposed to lately. There was a small (and free!) exhibit on Brazilian art, which was refreshing, because I'd been getting so used to the more drab older European schools of art. After, Jessie and I did the obligatory sitting in a cafe drinking a cappuccino deal before sitting down for the movie Les Amants Reguliers. This movie is an experience. Clocking in at a solid three hours, we watched more than one audience member leave. While the Times review I linked to is pretty positive, it was basically three hours of intense staring and smoking with almost no dialogue. The main character (played by Louis Garrel, best known in the states for his work in the Bertolucci movie "The Dreamers") would just furiously write down poetry that we, as the audience, were not privileged to see, followed by some longing and depressed looks into his girlfriend's eyes, then more mad scribbling of prose. Anyways, then it was off to a bar for a Stella and an early turn in.

The moral of the story: don't see Les Amants Reguliers. Trust me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home